Wheat Harvest

Wheat harvest continues to progress across the state of Kansas.

According to the Kansas Wheat Harvest Report issued on June 19 by the Kansas Wheat Commission, Kansas Association of Wheat Growers and the Kansas Grain and Feed Association, Stephanie Bell from Skyland Grain, Hugoton, in Stevens County, reported the area is about 75% done with harvest, with mostly irrigated fields remaining. Harvest has been running smoothly and they expected to be done by the end of the week. She said yields have been better than expected. Test weight is averaging 61 pounds per bushel, and proteins are ranging from 11-12%. Acres in the area are down from last year.

Roger Rohr, who farms in Seward County, also said his harvest began on June 13 and he had about three days left. Yields have been better than expected, averaging about 50 bushels per acre. He did have some freeze damage with heads not fully filled. While he had fewer acres of wheat this year, he expects to plant more this fall.

Ernie Theilen, OK Coop Grain Co, Kiowa, in Barber County, reported they took in their first load on June 7 and that the area is about 90% complete (as of June 19). Yields have been really good this year; most have been above average. He attributed this to the overall growing season, newer varieties and good grain fill weather. While proteins have been slightly lower than average, some of the later wheat they received had higher proteins than earlier wheat. This year's crop has been really exceptional and had above average test weights.

Randy Fritzemeier who farms in Stafford County, reported he began harvest on June 16. Harvest has been really good for him so far, with above-average yields, ranging from 40 to 70 bushels per acre. He had about a week to 10 days of harvest remaining, and said he may have been one of the earlier people in the county to find wheat that is dry enough to cut.

"Some people can't find any dry wheat," he said. He planted the Kansas Wheat Alliance varieties Zenda and Larry this year, and they are performing well for him.

"We received moisture at the right times and cool weather for grain fill," he said. "And, no mud holes this year."

Gary Beachner at Beachner Grain in Parsons in Labette County reported on June 15 that harvest really started on Friday, June 12 and through that weekend in their southern counties, Montgomery, Labette and southern Wilson County.

About 85% of their wheat is hard red winter, and the variety Everest makes up over half of those acres. The remaining 15% is soft red winter. So far, quality is good, with test weights on HRW averaging 62.5 pounds per bushel and SRW averaging 60 pounds per bushel. Protein is averaging 10.5 to 11%, and yields are near average. 

Trending Video

Recommended for you